Thursday, September 2, 2010

Copy Cat

It was not a dark and stormy night, it was a blazingly dry and hot August afternoon and I was looking for something to do in the studio. I had just bought Scott Christensen's marvelous book "The Nature of Light". I found an image of a 6x8 painting of his in the section on studies. So I did my best to copy it, sipping on an iced tea in the cool studio.

One can learn a lot from copying a painting, in this case keeping the four values planes (uprights, slanted planes, flat land and sky) separate. That is, each has a range of values which is different from the others. In addition, this painting's focal point is clearly the tree in the middle. He uses various means to make this clear: color, contrast, detail, edges and lines - notice the shadows in the foreground point to the tree. The tree is surrounded by a much lighter sky. There is a lot of detail in the tree compared to the surrounding tree line, etc. Finally, the nearer clouds are warmer than those in the distance. This little study is a wonderful art lesson. Thanks, Scott!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dan!... I Love the loose painterly quality of your work and your strong sense of design in each piece!

    We find and emulate mentors like Gruppe... Henri.... Christensen... etc.... and are effected by their influence, even unconsciously as we search for our own "Voice"-all good!

    Enjoyed my look through your site! I will be back for sure!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce Sherman

    ReplyDelete